Food Businesses should have an awareness of the risks associated with the handling and preparing food containing eggs.
Using eggs that are unsafe to eat can increase the chance of causing food borne illnesses such as Salmonella food poisoning
Here are 5 tips for handling eggs:
- Buy eggs that are within their Used by Date/Best Before Date
- Don’t buy cracked or dirty eggs (e.g. contaminated with hen poo or feathers)
- Replace raw egg with pasteurised egg products
- Don’t wash eggs! Washing eggs can make it easier for Bacteria such as Salmonella to enter the egg and spread in your kitchen!
- Wash your hands after handling eggs, handling eggs is just like handling raw chicken